Sunday, January 7, 2007

Road Food

We just got back from a trip to Las Vegas with our daughter, son-in-law, and two granddaughters. For some ridiculous reason, I thought it would be a good idea to take some snacks along for the morning and late-night munchies. Apparently, I forgot about the abundance of food available at every turn in Vegas. I spent the day before our trip making the Barefoot Contessa's Lemon Cake, Nielsen-Massey Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cook's Illustrated Lime Bars (a riff on their Lemon Bars), Five-Grain Cookies with Coconut and Cranberries (courtesy of Val on the CLBB), and my own chicken salad, salsa, and sloppy joe recipes.

I suppose this was my latent Christmas-baking gene showing itself, as I did absolutely no baking before the holidays. It seems like there is so much food available then that there's just no joy in adding to the abundance.

The goodies did come in handy on the trip, though, when I broke my foot on the second day. I'd love to tell you how it happened, but you already know...what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! (Doesn't that sound better than a story about tripping over a sand bag in the under-construction pedestrian area on the strip?) The incident did clip my wings a bit, but with enough pain medication and crutches, I still managed to roam at will.

As I learn more about how to move around Blogger and customize my blog, I'll post recipes and other interesting stuff. For now, it's early to bed and back to work tomorrow after a two-week break. Stay tuned to see what I can stand up long enough to cook this week!

No comments: