Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Lemons and Parsley and Shrimp--Oh, my!



Tonight's dinner was, again, from Barefoot Contessa: Family Style. Linguine with Shrimp Scampi was accompanied by Zucchini with Parmesan. This was, once again, a great pairing. I put a large skillet on the stove almost as soon as I walked in the door. As the skillet heated, I sliced the onions for the zucchini, my daughter sliced the zucchini. The onions slowly carmelized, then the zucchini were stirred in, browning in two batches. After developing a nice, brown crust, the zucchini were dusted with grated Parmesan and parked in the oven to keep warm.



I also started a large stockpot of water boiling. While the zucchini slowly cooked, we prepped the lemon in all its forms (zest, juice, and slices) for the scampi, minced the garlic, and chopped the parsley. Once the second batch of zucchini came off the stove, I dropped the linguini in the boiling water and started the garlic sizzling in a skillet. Dinner was on the table ten minutes later, and it was glorious. Lots of "Mmmmm's" were heard around the table, and the leftovers are packed for tomorrow's lunches. Without the zucchini, this dinner could truly be a 30-minute meal. As Rachael would say, "Yum-O!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are absolutely beautiful! They really help get a feel for the dish. I'm anxious to try some of the Barefoot Contessia ones you are showing. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle said...

Thanks--I'm enjoying it. My daughter did comment tonight, though, while she was waiting for me to take pictures, "Dinner used to be fun before you had your blog!"