Sunday, January 21, 2007

Just like Sundays past

It must be some form of child abuse to raise one's offspring without providing at least some memories of the Sunday pot roast. That's what I prepared today, and all of us at the table turned into children again--at least inside our heads. The favorite sentence starter around our table was, "I remember...." I started the roast, carrots, and potatoes this morning about 9:00, then put the roasting pan in the oven, leaving the 300 degree oven to work its magic. It took awhile, but by noon, the house was filled with the fragrance of memories, and the family started drifting into the kitchen, a bit dreamy eyed, asking "When will it be done?"

By 3:00, we were at the dinner table, having completed the meal with gravy and rolls. Simple and satisfying, nourishing the soul as well as the body. I don't know why I don't make this more often; it's truly a "stick it in the oven and forget about it" meal. My wish for you is that you have your own pot-roast memories to share, especially because my memory card wasn't in my camera. I took pictures, but don't know how to get them out of the camera memory into my computer. Needless to say, the transfer cable for the camera is somewhere...else.

To cap off the experience, about halfway through dinner, we looked outside and it was snowing. Remember, we live in the desert, so it is a very rare treat for us. It's too dark now to take a picture, and so far, the snow has not stuck, but the last time it snowed, this is what the mountains behind our house looked like:


What are your favorite food memories...the ones that take you back to childhood?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your transfer cable is in the same place as mine. Hope I find it before vacation!

Great blog.

Michelle said...

I hope you find yours before vacation, too. I usually just pull out my memory card and pop it into the reader, but obviously, that won't help when the picturs aren't on the card! I remember having it in the very beginning, which means it's somewhere "safe" right now. Since I've gone through all my drawers and closets and reorganized since then, I really have no idea. Very frustrating.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.