Copyright 2006, Weight Watchers: Take Out Tonight
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh lemongrass, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 (3 1/2 pound) roasting chicken
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon chicken broth
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
1/2 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray the rack of a roasting pan with nonstick spray and place in the pan.
2. Combine the onion, ginger, and lemongrass in a small bowl.
3. Gently loosen the skin from the breast and leg portions of the chicken; stuff the onion mixture evenly under the skin.
4. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Tuck the wings back and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Place the chicken, breast-side up, in the roasting pan. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 180 degrees Fahrenheit, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Remove and discard the skin.
5. To make the glaze, combine the coconut milk, lime juice, broth, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, and sesame oil in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the mixture reduced by half, about 10 minutes; Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
6. Carve the chicken; spoon the warm glaze over the top. Serve at once.