Sunday, June 3, 2007

Embracing the East While Rooted in the West


Apparently, we like Thai food. Who knew? That's one of the things I like about cooking through a cookbook. As long as I don't have to eat lamb. I'm not making those recipes. Or rabbit. I'm not into rabbit. And scallops, salmon, brains, tripe....okay, I'm only so adventurous. Anyway, we traveled the Thai road again tonight with a dish that, in its basic form, has graced many a Midwest Sunday dinner table--roast chicken. This roast chicken, however, was generously rubbed with ginger, lemongrass, and onion before roasting, then drizzled with a glaze of coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, nam pla, sesame oil, and basil, simmered to a thick, rich reduction. I don't even know how to describe the way these flavors dance across the tongue. Every bite of this Roasted Chicken with Coconut-Lime Glaze delights the palate as it moves through the mouth. There's the vague sweetness of the brown-sugar sweetened coconut milk, the acidic bite of lime, and the hints of anise in the chopped basil. This would have been great with coconut rice, but I made the roasted potatoes from the Greek Lemon Roasted Chicken again. The flavors were a nice compliment to one another. And a bubbly glass of Pelligrino with a twist of lime was the final touch to a delightful meal.

No comments: