Sunday, May 27, 2007

Purple People Eater



Eggplant. Some people love it. Some people hate it. Some, like me, are in between. Really, it just depends. Tonight, we wanted something light and fairly simple, as we had been at a family function all day. Eggplant Parmesan Heroes seemed to fit the bill. After all, veggies, marinara sauce, cheese, Italian rolls--what's not to love? Right? Right? Um...wrong. Forgettable--so much so that it was almost gone from my mind before I got my plate into the sink. I think there is potential in this dish, but as written, this Weight Watchers recipe gets two thumbs sideways.


For one, the flavor of Parmesan cheese was indistinguishable from the rest of the dish (not a good thing in anything ______ Parmesan). Since I rarely use bottled marinara (and by rarely, I mean absolutely never), I ended up being highly disappointed with the one I had. It was far too liquidy and just soaked into the bread. The eggplant probably should have been sliced thicker than the 1/4" the recipe called for, and a little more seasoning would have been in order. Also, I think the whole wheat Italian rolls I used really overwhelmed the flavors of the sandwich. Ultimately, I think this is just one of those recipes that is functional, but not begging to be repeated.
On a happier note, Baby Brooklynn came over for some quality time. She says she likes to spend it with us, but we think she just wants to play with the dogs!


No comments: