Thursday, January 10, 2008

No beauty pageant winners here!

Today started inauspiciously. When the alarm went off at 5:00 a.m., I knew I wasn't going to make it to work on time; I was in the grip of a migraine. Back to bed I went, loaded up on medication. I made a couple of false starts as the day wore on, only to be driven back to bed. At one point, I was actually dressed, wearing make up, and in the car, only to come back home before making it even a mile down the road. Not a good beginning. However, after sleeping until 4:30, I woke up absolutely ravenous, with the migraine seeming to be at bay. The only thing left on my week's menu plan was this recipe for Black Sesame Noodles from Jack Bishop's A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. I wasn't sure it sounded good, but it was this or leftovers, so this won.


And oh, am I glad that it did. I've had a few sesame noodle dishes, which all just struck me as okay. This one, however, transported me. Like so many of his other recipes, this one came together very quickly--less than 30 minutes from the time I put the water on to boil for the pasta. I've never used black sesame seeds before, but I will again. They have a taste just a bit stronger which really shines through. This dish is served warm, but leftovers should be fine cold. Grated carrots, cucumber, and radishes add a nice, fresh note and lighten what could otherwise be a heavy dish. I used only 3/4 pound of pasta, as Bishop's recipes are usually to heavy on the pasta, and too light on the sauce for my taste. In this instance, when I make this again, I'll go with the full pound. I would also up the shredded veggies a bit, as they could have a stronger presence without overwhelming the balance of this dish. I don't often repeat dishes, but I see this one coming up again in our future.
One of the things I'd like to do this year is participate in more Blogger events. I'm giving up my virginity in this area to the Presto Pasta Night Roundup at Once Upon a Feast--Every Kitchen Tells Its Story. This is a great site to check on Fridays before the weekend grocery shopping trip. Pasta shines in all its forms of glory.

4 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

I'm honored to have Presto Pasta Night be the first blogging event you enter! The dish looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it.

Hope the migraine stays gone!

PG said...

Welcome to Presto Pasta Night. This week's roundup contains my second entry - so I'm new too. That's quite the feast for a migraine day.

Anonymous said...

The pasta looks very enticing! Welcome to pasta blogging here at PPN. Just so many ways to make this dish!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the welcome, and for visiting my blog. I hope to see you at Pasta Round Up on a regular basis in the next few weeks.

Just curious--what other food blog events do you all participate in?