Ratatouille Pasta Toss
1/2 pound fusilli or bow-tie pasta
Olive oil for the pan
1 small eggplant, cut in 2" x 1/2" x 1/2" sticks
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup white wine
3/4 c. roasted cherry tomatoes or oil-packed sun dried tomatoes (See note)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
1/2 c. pine nuts
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta and begin step 2 below. When the water is boiling, add salt and pasta, cooking until pasta is al dente. When pasta is cooked, drain, place in large bowl, and drizzle a bit of olive oil over it and toss.
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet and add enough olive oil to keep eggplant from sticking. Heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the eggplant, stirring frequently with a flexible spatula until browned on all sides and beginning to collapse.
3. Add onion and bell pepper to the eggplant. Stir occasionally, cooking until onion is translucent. Deglaze the pan with the wine.
3. Add roasted or sun-dried tomatoes and garlic, cooking until garlic is fragrant.
4. Add arugula; tossing until it is thoroughly wilted. Spoon mixture over pasta.
5. Add pine nuts to the empty pan, stir until toasted, then add to pasta mixture.
(Note: To roast cherry tomatoes, cut in half, drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste, and roast in hot (475 degree) oven until liquid is evaporated and tomatoes begin to brown. They will keep in the refrigerator for at least a week, or in the freezer for several weeks.)