Sunday, February 4, 2007

A Good Cook Always Trusts Her Instincts


I ran across this recipe for Turkey Potato Casserole on another blog, and thought it looked interesting. To be fair, the other blogger wasn't really happy with the dish, but I thought I could tweak it and make it work. It's an interesting recipe: a layer of thinly sliced potatoes, a layer of raw ground turkey and garlic, more potatoes, then a bath of cream and Dijon mustard before baking. The final touch is a layer of cheese and crisp bacon pieces, then back into the oven to brown. I'll admit, I had my reservations. I should have listened to the voices in my head.
This dish remained soupy and my portion went into the trash. For some reason, it had an odd fishy taste--much more so than the tuna we grilled on Friday! Kent swears he's going to eat the rest of it. We'll see. I'm not even posting the recipe, unless someone really wants to see it. The other blogger and I are both accomplished cooks, so I don't think it was cook's error. I think, rather, that the recipe just doesn't work.
Last night's dinner was much better. On the first Saturday of the month, we go to dinner with Kent's family. It's just a way for all of us to stay connected in the middle of our very busy lives. So, last night, it was his parents, sister and brother-in-law, our two girls, son-in-law, and baby Brooklynn. We had some great ribs at Famous Dave's, although they really didn't have that much on the Sweet and Sour Ribs I made in the crockpot a couple of weeks ago. Mostly, it was a nice dinner out. Today was a puttering-around day for me. I have work I need to do, but I needed a day to clear my mind even more. We watched Alexander, which we've had sitting around from Netflix for....ahem.....two and a half months. Have I mentioned that we've been busy?
This week will be hectic, but I have meals planned for all but Thursday, when I know I won't be home until almost 9:00. No cookin' that late, for sure! So check back...it's gotta get better than tonight's dinner.

No comments: